All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jpbsarris
join:2009-12-21

jpbsarris

Free router from Comcast

Can someone post the web page where you order the free router from Comcast if you lease their modem. Thanks.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

»www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Any idea whose hardware or the specific model(s) being supported?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
Remember the 'small' print:
quote:
Wireless routers are property of Comcast, and must be returned if service is cancelled.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
Netgear WNR series

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
I got one not too long ago. Works pretty well. Its a WNR1000v2. Even has a traffic meter. That came in handy with roommates. I was able to tell it how much i wanted them to download and stuff. It's not my default router since i got a linksys N router for christmas, but i still keep it active as a backup.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b to jpbsarris

MVM

to jpbsarris
Ten dollars S&H for a $70+ router is not a bad deal.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Tordek7

to Tordek7
I got one via this offer (WNR3500 V1). Amazingly, you can also get one if you own (not lease) your cable modem.
jpbsarris
join:2009-12-21

jpbsarris to jack b

to jack b
Thanks for the posts. I think I'm going to lease their new modem and then go for their router. Not too bad of a deal if you get both for the lease price. I have been fighting constant drops ever since they went to docsis 3. Comcast still hasn't been able to correct this with the SB5100 modems that I own. Not wanting to buy a new one until I try it for a while. If this last effort doesn't fix the issue I'll be moving to another provider. It seems that they are unwilling to fix compatibility issues that they created with their new system. Rarely ever had drops with docsis 2 and now their reliability sucks.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

At least I know it's not just me. However, the issue is apparently related to the channel reclamation (Project Cavalry), as the issues started this month. (I have an SB-5120, which I own, not lease; it has been a solid performer for four years and headed for five.) I'm thinking that this is a CMTS issue.

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

1 edit

inferno4

Free while it has $10 shipping? No thanks...

Edit, Just ordered one! hehe...

beachintech
Premium Member

1 recommendation

beachintech

Premium Member

said by inferno4:

Free while it has $10 shipping? No thanks...
Can't please everyone.
Expand your moderator at work

WutanG5
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Seaford, DE

WutanG5 to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris

Re: Free router from Comcast

said by Tordek :
Netgear WNR series

Can anyone confirm that if I order one from Comcast, it will be "N" spec on the router?

It'd be nice to know a little more specific which model of router they would ship.

I've already got a B/G router, but an N spec router for 10$ shipped even though they still own it would be a deal for me.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
For some reason, i think they asked me what kind i wanted. If not, they may have just sent me the N router by default. I did mine back in october. Got it like the last week of november. (I forgot about it when it came!)
It's a pretty good router for $10.00.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
All the routers I have seen shipped were N.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88 to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
Wow, I had no idea bout this....I'm definitely doing this offer when I go home this weekend. $10 for a wireless n router? Sweet.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to jpbsarris

to jpbsarris
So I pay $10 for shipping and when I am done with Comcast I need to return the Router?

Already have an Access Point for Wireless, so why do I need this one? Do not see the advantage.

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium Member
join:2003-07-27
Vancouver, WA

Epikos

Premium Member

+1

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to WutanG5

to WutanG5
As I said, I have the Netgear router referred to.

It's the Netgear WNR3500 (in the V1 Marvell TopDog chipset version, which was replaced with a new V2 version with a Broadcom chipset that is more friendly to third-party firmware; I have no idea if Comcast is also getting this version). The Comcast model SKU is WNR3500-1VCNAS.

The router is N-ratified, supports draft-N as shipped, and also has gigabit WAN *and* LAN ports. It does *not* support 5 GHz N (high-band N); however, it does support WPA2 for both G and low-band N devices.

I have one that replaced a personally-owned Linksys WRT54GS (the issue with the GS was, surprisingly, range for G devices; specifically, an XP-based laptop). I'm perfectly happy with the Netgear router. If I replace it with another personal router, it would likely be not only another Netgear router, but the WNR3500 V2 (the Broadcom chipset in this router is the same one found in the now-shipping WNR3500L; the only feature it lacks from the L is USB support, which is a non-issue).
PGHammer

PGHammer to hortnut

to hortnut
If you have no gigabit wired devices or N devices, there is no benefit other than increased range for G devices (especially over Linksys new-model G routers or stock-antenna older G routers, such as the WRT54GS my WNR replaced). I have one wired-gigabit desktop, and may upgrade the only other wired desktop with a motherboard swap (from Intel 845E to Intel 875P, and from card-based 100 mbps Ethernet to built-in gigabit Ethernet). So, like any other router upgrade, it depends on your situation.

In my case, the driving factor is the increased wireless range, not the increased throughput of gigabit LAN (being as I'm still on the old Performance plan, as a downgrade from Blast, gigabit WAN is a non-starter).

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
said by hortnut:

So I pay $10 for shipping and when I am done with Comcast I need to return the Router?

Already have an Access Point for Wireless, so why do I need this one? Do not see the advantage.
You don't "need" this one if you have your own wireless setup. This is more for customers without a wireless setup.

eviLution
has left the building.
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Fall River, MA

eviLution to jpbsarris

Premium Member

to jpbsarris
I moved to a new apt that's bigger and was in need of a wireless router. I called Comcast to move my service and asked if they can provide a wireless router, and the rep said I need to pay ($100-150?) for installation fee for the router.

So I asked if I can install it myself and they gave me this bullshit excuse that it needs to be install by "professionals" because they need to setup security or something. Lol?
rossdawg
join:2009-04-24

rossdawg to jpbsarris

to jpbsarris
Can you just pick one up at the service center if you qualify?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b to eviLution

MVM

to eviLution
Click on the link on the first page and get one shipped for $10, with self install it's free provided you currently rent one of their modems.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to rossdawg

Premium Member

to rossdawg
said by rossdawg:

Can you just pick one up at the service center if you qualify?
Nope.

eviLution
has left the building.
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Fall River, MA

eviLution to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
I'm a modem owner. D:

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

said by eviLution:

I'm a modem owner. D:
So am I (SB-5120 that I've had since 2005); I still qualified.

By the by, the installation fee is $30.

There are *no* other charges or fees, monthly or otherwise.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to jpbsarris

to jpbsarris
Do these work okay in AP mode?

I just want to hang one of these off my MOCA router to provide a wireless signal.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

There should be no reason why not, turn off DHCP and plug a cat5 cable into one of the LAN ports.